top of page

How can I benefit from health cover if I do not have a valid residence permit in France?

State medical aid (AME) is state aid that covers 100% of health care. This health protection is intended for foreign people in an irregular and precarious situation who have resided in France for more than 3 months. The AME card is valid for one year and is renewed every year (it's up to you to follow the extension procedure each year).

💡 The AME is awarded unconditionally to minor children whose parents are in an irregular situation, even when they do not yet benefit from it or exceed the resource limit to benefit from it. The members of your family residing abroad and who are visiting you in France are not entitled to AME as dependents.

Eligibility criterias for AME in France:

  • You are a foreigner in an irregular situation in France

  • You have been living in France for more than 3 months without interruption

  • Your resources do not exceed a certain limit

Supporting documents you need for AME in France:

  • Proof of identity: identity card, passport, birth certificate extract(s) or family record book, copy(ies) of an old residence permit;

  • Proof of income

  • Proof that you have been in France for more than 3 months:

    • If you have your own accommodation: energy, water or phone bills for the last 3 months, lease or rental agreement.

    • If you are accommodated in an accommodation and social reintegration centre: a certificate of accommodation for the last three months, rental contract or rent receipts drawn up by this centre.

    • If you are hosted by an individual: a sworn statement, written by this person, specifying the date since when you have been hosted, accompanied by rent receipts or energy bills drawn up in his name for the last three months.

    • If you do not have a personal address and have taken up residence with an approved organisation, a certificate of residence established by this organisation and covering more than three months.

Apply for AME in France

To apply for state medical aid (AME), you must complete this form and send it by post with all the supporting documents attached to the mailbox of your regional CPAM. You can find the form and your CPAM here

💡 You can also get the application form from your CPAM and get help from an organisation to fill it out.


bottom of page