top of page

DELF, DALF, TCF: usefulness and differences between these French tests and diplomas...

Several French language tests and diplomas allow you to prove your level of French (TCF, DELF, DALF, DUEF...).

When do you need to prove your level of French?

  • When enrolling in a higher education institution in France: in general, a B1 or B2 level is required to enter a master's degree.

  • When you want to settle in France permanently: A2 level, both written and spoken, is required for the delivery of a residence permit.

  • To access French nationality: B1 level oral and written knowledge of French is required.

TCF, DELF, DALF, DUEF, what are the differences?

The TCF (test de connaissance du français) is the official test of the French Ministry of Education. It is possible to take some tests online and remotely.

The DELF and DALF (Diplôme d’études en langue française et Diplôme approfondi de langue française) are official diplomas issued by the Ministry of Education.

💡Our recommendation: for administrative procedures, the TEF and TCF are more suitable. But the DELF-DALF is preferable if you have a long-term professional or personal project in a French-speaking environment because this diploma has an unlimited validity.


bottom of page